Translate

Monday 23 December 2013

The difference mature age students make!







As a retired, very long ago, textiles teacher it is very exciting to be teaching ladies.  The one thing that never ceases to amaze is the creativeness that is exhibited.

I am renown for very detailed, step by step, notes on how to accomplish, with the greatest of ease, any project that is being taught.  I  want my ladies to be able to go home with the confidence that they will have the tools to finish the project. I think this is due to my secondary school teaching, all those years ago when one didn't have time, nor did the curriculum allow, the students to let their creative juices flow.  Teaching in those days was very teacher directed.

It was a beautiful surprise this week when my lovely student Carol tentatively said to me, " I added some pearls to the dress, is that ok?" She then showed me a photo of the beautiful work she had done.  We had been working on a silk print of Maureen Christie's, embellishing it with ribbon and stitchery, which had just about been completed in class with a few bits and pieces to complete at home.

I love that she used her initiative to put her own touch on the class project! Here is her piece for you all to enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment